Thanks to our wonderful governor, (you may have heard of her by now) most Alaskans will be getting an extra $1200 "energy rebate" credit along with their permanent fund dividend checks this fall. Yes, the PFD is the money "they pay you for living in Alaska" but since we moved in after January of last year, we or not eligible for any of this sweet moula. Those eligible will receive $3269 each. Yes, so our little family of four would get $13,000. $13,069.00 to be exact. I love the whole energy rebate idea but when they decided to give it only to people eligible for PFD's, I became very disappointed with our legislature. What about us??? We have lived here over a year. We have been paying the same amount on energy costs as everyone else. Are we nto also deserving?
So in honor of how, for the next two months, I will hear nothing but commercials for "PFD sales" and how to "Use your PFD to buy this or that" I will make a list of what we won't be spending our $13,069 on:
1) Paying off student loans we took out so Justin could get flight hours. Well worth the money but we would really like to get those paid off.
2) A cheap four wheeler. Not really on my list but lately Justin has become convinced that every Alaskan (that's us now) needs one of these in order to fully enjoy what Alaska has to offer. I just smile and nod "Yes Dear, of course we need a four wheeler, if only we had the money..." -knowing full well we don't and won't.
3) Save several thousand to pay some highly trained medical people to impregnate me with our frozen little frosties. Shouldn't getting pregnant be much more fun? Oh, and the plane tickets to get to Boise, where are embies are currently residing. Anyway, that will have to wait...
4) There was this really great outfit at Bebe the other day, And Banana Republic...
5) Just a fraction of this money could cover a really nice vacay for a husband and wife who haven't been alone together for more than 3 hours at a time for over two years. I guess my mom did watch Macy for us one night for our anniversary but I was practically a whale with Kylie by that point and a woman only feels so romantic when there is a little person bulging out of her stomach.
I know many of you may be thinking "Cry me a river, I don't get paid to live in the lower 48." True, I know, but you also don't have to hear about all of the people receiving large sums of cash and their plans with what to do with it. I am not joking when I tell you that all we will see on TV or hear on the radio will be retailers trying to get your PFD thus constantly reminding us of what everyone else has but us.
Okay, enough whining.