Sunday, July 13, 2008

Potty Training

We started potty training Macy three days ago and have been using the "3 Day Potty Training" ebook that my cousin had used and recommended. Here is a log of how things went:

The first day
she had many accidents and she only made it to the bathroom in time once and that was around 10:00 p.m. after she had told me that she had to go dozens of times and I had spent the entire evening running her to the bathroom with no luck. My little evil genius discovered that if the tells me she has to go to the bathroom then she gets to get out of bed and spend one -on- one time with mom while she sits on the potty. This little game went on until she finally fell asleep at 12:30. Yes, I put up with the games for nearly four hours because I didn't want to tell her she couldn't go when she actually needed to, plus she has been somewhat rebellious about night time lately anyway and there wasn't much I could do to force her to go to sleep.


Day Two actually seemed to go worse than the first. She wouldn't drink much which resulted in us having fewer opportunities to practice getting to the bathroom on time. She did seem to to gain slightly better bladder control which could account for the fewer number of accidents but we failed to have a successful potty attempt. She also woke up wet in the morning and after her nap but only took 2 hours to get to sleep at night (ridiculous, I know).

Day Three is supposed to be the last day of this program but I was fairly certain it would take us at least another day or two. She again woke up wet in the morning but dry after her nap (hooray!) but then had an accident after being unable to go on the potty. The good news is that she went #2 on the toilet all by herself and then went #1 twice in the evening. I was so excited and relieved to feel that she is finally getting it. Hopefully tomorrow will go even better.

Sorry for the icky details but I thought I would put our experience out there for others who were thinking about trying this book/technique so they could get an unbiased opinion. Wish us luck the rest of the week!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I have to say, I admire your determination. I wish I could stay home for 3 full days to be able to try that... hopefully soon. I am almost out of diapers :)

Tiffany said...

I love your potty journal! I have that e-book as well and am planning on using it for Maddie... just haven't had consecutive days I could stay home to do it yet. I have one stubborn little girl too, so we'll see how it goes!

Unknown said...

It's day four and she hasn't had an accident since yesterday so so far I recommend it!